Posted by Roof Things on 3/8/2016 to Metal Roof Articles
(Hover the mouse over the screw types, most are linked to the product page of that particular screw)
Metal fasteners are used when installing...
- A new metal roof on a residential home, business or commercial building
- A post-frame or pre-engineered steel building for an equestrian, agricultural, farm animal or product storage facility
- Garage for an RV, boat or farm equipment
- And more...
"The fasteners you choose are just as important as the decision you made to reap the benefits of building with metal. A quality fastener ensures benefits like energy efficiency, lowering homeowner's insurance and the long life associated with metal construction.
"Matching the correct fastener to your job become vital to the success of your business. Here is our top 10 list of what to look for when buying metal roof fasteners:"
- Use the right fastener. Screws and fasteners have metal-to-wood and metal-to-metal applications.
- Use a fastener that has a large washer.
- Hi-Lo threaded screws are used in metal-to-wood applications. (Tek screws are used in metal-to-metal applications. Stainless steel screws should be used when screwing down aluminum metal roofs. )
- Protect against corrosion and rust by using mechanically galvanized fasteners.
- Variety and choice matter.
- Instead of carbon steel screws use stainless steel or zinc aluminum cap screws.
- Look for and use fasteners with a strong V-neck head to prevent product breakage while on the job site.
- Coordinate color of roofing screw with roof panel color.
- If you needed the screws yesterday look for quick ship options.
- Use fasteners from a reliable company.
Martin, Tim and Cindi Kimmel. "Top 10 Things to Look for in Metal Roof Fasteners." Metal Construction News 1 Feb 2016: n. pag. Web. 3 Mar. 2016. <http://www.metalconstructionnews.com/articles/columns/top-ten-things-to-look-for-in-metal-roof-fasteners.aspx>.
Levi's Building Components provides screws and fasteners that meet these specifications. Their screws can be purchased plain or painted to match the color of your roof. Click on the screw below to be directed to a specific screw product page or call us as directly. (208)450-3699.
USE THE COUPON CODE: review1
$5 OFF A $25 PURCHASE OR MORE
Their screws and metal fasteners include:
- View all our selection of screws and fasteners
- #9 Fastgrip Mechanical Galvanized Type 17, Bonded Washer, Metal to Wood
- #9 Fastgrip Mechanical Galvanized Type 17, Bonded Washer, Metal to Wood-PAINTED
- #9 Fastgrip 300 Series STAINLESS STEEL Aluminum Bonded Washer, Aluminum to Wood
- #9 Fastgrip 300 Series STAINLESS STEEL Aluminum Bonded Washer, Aluminum to Wood-PAINTED
- #10 Hi Lo Thread
- #10 Hi Lo Thread - PAINTED
- #10 ProCap STAINLESS STEEL Cap Screws With Washer, Metal to Wood, Hi Lo Threads
- #10 ProCap STAINLESS STEEL Cap Screws With Washer, Metal to Wood, Hi Lo Threads - PAINTED
- #10 Pro-Z Zinc Alloy Cap Type 17, Bonded Washer, Metal to Wood
- #10 Pro-Z Zinc Alloy Cap Type 17, Bonded Washer, Metal to Wood - (Call for to order painted)
- #10 Pancake Screws, Zinc Plated or Stainless Steel, Metal to Metal or Metal to Wood
- #12 Replacement Screws. Mechanical Galvanized, Metal to Wood
- #12 Replacement Screws. Mechanical Galvanized, Metal to Wood - PAINTED
- #12 Replacement Screws, STAINLESS STEEL, Metal to Wood
- #12 Replacement Screws, STAINLESS STEEL, Metal to Wood - PAINTED
- #12 Metalgrip Self Drillers Mechanical Galvanized With Bonded Washer Metal to Wood, Tek 3
- #12 Metalgrip Self Drillers Mechanical Galvanized With Bonded Washer Metal to Wood, Tek 3 - PAINTED
- #12 Metalgrip Self Drillers Mechanical Galvanized With Bonded Washer Metal to Wood, Tek 5
- #12 Metalgrip Self Drillers Mechanical Galvanized With Bonded Washer Metal to Wood, Tek 5 - PAINTED
- #12 No Washer, Tek 3
- #12 No Washer, Tek 3 - PAINTED
- Polywashers sold separately from metal fasteners
- #14 Fastgrip Mechanical Galvanized Type 17, Bonded Washer, Metal to Wood
- #14 Fastgrip Mechanical Galvanized Type 17, Bonded Washer, Metal to Wood - PAINTED
- #14 Stitch Tek, Plain or Pained (call to order)
- Roofing Nails With Washers, Plain or Painted (call to order)
- Wafer Head Sharp Point Philip Drive or Self Drill Philip Drive
- Flat Head SD W/Wings (call to order)
- Gutter Zip Screws HWH 420 Stainless Steel, Plain or Painted (call to order)
More information about the metal fasteners from Levi's Building Components.
- Other names of these screws include: stitch screw, lap screw, a metal roofing lap seam screw, pole barn screw, metal roofing lap seam screw, self drilling lap screw, self piercing screw, hex head screw, pro panel roofing screw, light gauge or heavy gauge metal screw, screw with major and minor threads, screw with stitch drill point, exterior roofing screw, strip-out repair screw, tek screws with sealing washer, sheet metal screws, bond seal roof screw, etc.
- Washers are necessary when wanting a water-tight seal.
- Stainless steel screw are rust free and necessary when you live in an area that is high humidity or close to a large water source
- #9, #10, #12 and ProCap metal to wood screws are 1/4" hex head screws
- #12, #14 and ProZ metal fasteners are 5/16" hex head screws
- Designed to fasten multiple layers of metal roof panels, metal siding panels, attach trim to metal building sheets or seal lap joints of metal building sheets.
- Note that replacement screws are meant to replace nails or screws that failed
Pole barn screws and self tapping screws come in the following painted colors: Ash Gray, Black, Bone White, Bronze, Brown, Burgundy, Charcoal, Colonial Red, Copper, Crimson Red, Dark Blue, Dark Bronze, Dark Brown, Dark Red, Fab Charcoal, Forest Green, Gallery Blue, Ivy Green, Hartford Green, Hemlock Green, Ivory, Light Gray, Light Stone, Mansard Brown, Medium Bronze, Musket Gray, Patina Green, Pewter Gray, Red, Slate Blue, Slate Gray, Slate, and Tan.
Leave a comment below to let us know of other types of screws you would like to see on our site.