(Hover over the product name or company name to see its hyperlink to a product page or company page)
- Roof Things Snow Retention Catalog, Click Here
- To see the Snow Guards that we carry and cost, Click Here
- To see the Snow Rail Systems that we carry and cost, Click Here
- Need help with a Snow Guard calculation, layout and/or quote, Click Here
- To learn more about ice guards, read the Roof Things Snow Retention Catalog (Click Here) or continue reading this article
WHAT KIND OF SNOW STOP DO I NEED?
A Snow guard, snow stop for metal roofs or a metal roof ice guard, come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
- Some ice guards are SMALL like the Sno Shield Inc. SS Mini, the Zaleski snow guard called No. 15 and the Sno Gem Jr.
- Other snow stops are a MEDIUM size. Levi’s Building Components makes a polycarbonate snow guard called the Snow Defender PC240 and the Buster while SnoJax / SnoBlox makes the SnoBlox Deuce and the Ice Jax. We carry copper and aluminum metal roof guards that come in a variety of shapes; some include the Alpine SnowGuards PD81, PD80, PD51, PD50, PD41, PD40, PD30, PD30Z, PD11, PD10, ASG33G, WR79 and the WR70.
- With small and medium size snow stops, obviously there has to be LARGE snow guards. Try the Sno Shield Panel Guard or Rib Guard, the Snow Defender 1500, 4500, 6500 or 55RF, and the Sno Gem Original.
Snow breaks, snow stoppers, snow bird, roof ice breakers, roof cleats, or gutter guards are used on almost every type of roof.
- For metal roofs like a PBR panel or classic panel consider pad style snow guards.
- Standing seam metal roofs require snow breaks like the Sno Shield Rib Guard 1 or 2, the Snow Defender 6500 or 55RF, the ASG33G or the PD81, S-5! ColorGard or the Sno Gem 2” IBeam.
- Snow Guard for corrugated metal roof (ribbed pocket snow breaks) include the PD80 or the S-5! CorruBracket and the S-5! CorruBracket T100.
- Check out our snow stoppers for
These are just a few of the snow stoppers we carry. To see all our snow stops, click here.
HOW MANY SNOW GUARDS DO I NEED?
A roof ice guard is crucial when you need to keep the snow from falling from your metal roof, but will it be enough? Ice guards should only be used in light to moderate snow load areas and on smaller roof sections. Typically residential homes can get away with using ice guards instead of snow rail. The roof a residential home typically is no more than a 4/12 pitch, with a 20 foot eave, ground snow load of 30 or less and from ridge to eave the roof measures approximately 15 to 20 feet. A home like this could probably get away with one row of snow guards screwed into the roof or one row of clamp-on snow guards (clamp-on snow guards are used on standing seam metal roofs). If your home has a variable that differs from what has already been explained, your roof might need multiple rows of snow breaks or better yet, a snow rail system.
Most commercial buildings should default on the side of a snow rail system instead of snow breaks, but some commercial buildings like Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart can get away with using only snow guards. Some include: mini snow breaks, the Sno Gem Original or Zaleski’s No. 15 ice guard. If you look at a Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart, there is a long but small section of that is maybe 15 feet from the top of the metal roof to the eave of the roof. Again with such a small roof section, a light snow retention system can be used, BUT many commercial buildings should use a snow rail system. The factors that come into play here are the length of the roof from ridge to eave, the length of the eave and the snow load. Most commercial buildings sport a standing seam metal roof because of its watertight capabilities. Though a little more expensive, a leaky roof is one less thing to worry about. The same thing can be said about snow rail, it is a little more expansive, but snow falling onto a pedestrian can be just as expensive, if not more expensive (increased insurance, hospital bills, etc.)Next time you see a Cabela’s note the S-5! ColorGuard system used in conjunction with a heat tape system (Note: All Cabela’s may not have a snow retention system, but the one in Idaho falls Idaho does).
WHAT KIND OF SNOW RAIL DO I NEED?
Snow Rail or Snow Bars for metal roofs come in a variety of shapes and sizes. These can not be purchased at a Lowes, Home Depot or WalMart. We sell all snow rail manufactured by Sno Shield, S-5!, Alpine Snow Guards, Sno Gem, SnoBar (SnoJax / SnoBlox). NOT ALL PRODUCTS ARE SHOWN ON THE SITE SINCE THE SYSTEM WOULD REQUIRE A CUSTOM QUOTE BASED ON THE CUSTOMER’S NEEDS. It could be said that most snow rail systems are comparable in strength and ability, what it really comes down to is aesthetics and functionality that is needed.
- Sno Shield Inc – Poweder Coated Steel, Product Available in Stainless Steel, Base Plate Available
o Use snow Bar on PBR Panel (Classic Rib), slate roofs, shingle roofs and wood shank roofs:
§ Brackets can be modified to fit the needs of the roof upon request
o Snow Bar used on Standard Standing Seam Metal roofs
§ Ask about the custom Snow Bar for standing seam metal roofs mechanically seamed 90 degrees.
§ Brackets can be modified to fit the needs of the roof upon request
- S-5! – All Products Aluminum –
o Use on most types of standing seam metal roofs and Shingle Roofs
- Alpine SnowGuards – Products Available in Copper, Bronze and Aluminum (Most Rail is Aluminum)
o Use Snow Bar or Pipe Style Snow Guards on standing seam metal roofs, Shingle Roofs, Slate Roofs, Tile Roofs, EDPM Roofs or Solar Panels
§ ASG2000B-Mini Copper Standing Seam, ASG4025 Standing Seam Two-Pipe Snow Guard, Bronze Angle Standing Seam Fence-Style Snow Guard, PP115 Two-or-Three-Pipe Snow Guard, PP125 Two-or-Three-Pipe Snow Guard, PP202 Two-Pipe Height Adjustable Snow Guard, PP225 Three-Pipe Height Adjust able Snow Guard and so much more.
§ CALL FOR A QUOTE ON ALL ALPINE SNOWGUARDS SNOW RAIL / SNOW FENCE PRODUCTS, CLICK HERE
o Metal roof snow bar on PBR Panel (Classic Rib), slate, tile & shingle roofs, corrugated metal roofs, PVC, TPO & EDPM roof systems, spanish & clay tile roof systems, and Ludowici French Tile roof systems.
o Snow Bar used on Standard Standing Seam Metal Roofs:
§ Single Pipe 1” Square Bar
§ Single Pipe 2” square Bar
§ Double Pipe 1” Gem Clamp with MEC Bracket
§ Double Pipe 2” Gem Clamp with MEC Bracket
§ 1” Clamp-to Seam Standard and Wide Model
§ 2” Clamp-to Seam Standard Model
- SnoBar – Square Pipe Style Snow Fence – Aluminum
o Metal roof snow bar on PBR Panel (Classic Rib), slate roofs, shingle roofs, corrugated metal roofs and wood shank roofs:
§ Single Bar SnoBar ColorBracket
§ ColorBar w/ ColorBracket
o Snow Bar used on Standard Standing Seam Metal Roofs like trapezoidal standing seam, Nail-Strip, Standard Sanding Seam, T-Shape / Bulb Seams :
§ Single Bar SnoBar
§ Double Bar Sno Bar
o CALL FOR QUOTE ON THESE ITEMS, CLICK HERE